NHS Braces for Crisis as Resident Doctors Launch Six-Day Strike over Pay
Resident doctors in England begin a six-day strike as pay disputes with the government escalate, leading to thousands of cancelled appointments.

NHS Faces Significant Disruptions as Doctors Begin Six-Day Walkout
LONDON — Resident doctors across England have commenced a six-day strike on Tuesday, marking the 15th period of industrial action in a protracted and intensifying dispute over pay and working conditions. The walkout, organized by the British Medical Association (BMA), began at 07:00 BST and is expected to paralyze routine hospital services.
Resident doctors (formerly known as junior doctors) comprise nearly 50% of the medical workforce in the National Health Service (NHS). While senior consultants have been redeployed to cover emergency departments and intensive care units, thousands of pre-planned appointments and elective surgeries have been postponed.
A Financial and Clinical Toll
The Department of Health and Social Care estimates that the ongoing industrial action, which began in March 2023, has cost the NHS approximately £3 billion, with strikes currently costing the service £50 million per day.
Health Secretary Wes Streeting criticized the union’s decision to strike, noting that 95% of appointments were still scheduled to proceed. However, he expressed regret for those caught in the crossfire.
"Patients deserve better," Streeting told the BBC, characterizing resident doctors as "the best winners of the entire public sector workforce" regarding recent pay increases.
The Core of the Dispute: Real-Terms Pay Cuts
The BMA contends that despite receiving pay rises of 33% over the last four years, the profession has seen a 20% decline in real-terms pay since 2008 when adjusted for inflation (RPI).
The walkout, organized by the British Medical Association (BMA), began at 07:00 BST and is expected to paralyze routine hospital services.
Dr. Emma Runswick, deputy chair of the BMA Council, alleged that negotiations broke down because the government "moved the goalposts" on a potential deal at the eleventh hour. Conversely, Dr. Jack Fletcher, chair of the BMA’s resident doctor committee, apologized to patients but argued that the current crisis of delays is a permanent feature of a system lacking sufficient specialists and GPs.
Impact on Patients
The human cost of the strike is becoming increasingly clear. One patient, 55-year-old Adrian Emery, had his neurology follow-up canceled for the second time following a series of mini-strokes in January. "I’m very worried... I hope I don’t have a full stroke before I am seen," he told reporters.
Current polling data from YouGov indicates a shift in public sentiment, with 53% of the public opposing the strikes, while 38% remain in support.
Government Withdrawal of Perks
In response to the strike announcement, the government has withdrawn several non-pay incentives previously offered in May. These included:
- Coverage of exam fees and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Accelerated progression through salary bands.
- The creation of 1,000 new specialty training posts meant for this summer.
Currently, starting salaries for resident doctors begin at roughly £40,000, rising to £76,500 for those in final training stages, excluding overtime and unsocial hours supplements.
Internal Conflict at the BMA
In an ironic twist, the BMA itself is facing industrial action. Staff members represented by the GMB union—including negotiators and press officers—are currently on a two-day strike. They are protesting a 2.75% pay offer, claiming their own wages have fallen 17% since 2012.
The NHS has advised the public to continue using 999 and 111 for life-threatening emergencies and to attend scheduled appointments unless explicitly contacted by their hospital.




